Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Young South African rider captures maiden MotoGP victory at Czech GP.
Rookie Brad Binder ended Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s wait for their first MotoGP win when he stormed to victory at the thrilling Czech GP on Sunday. Here is all you need to know:
– The 24-year-old from Krugersdorp started strongly off the line at the Automotodrom Brno, then picked his moments superbly throughout the race to overtake Petronas Yamaha SRT pair Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli then hold on for his first elite victory.
– Binder revealed: “This is a day I have dreamed about since I was a little boy. Today, it came true. I really wish my parents were here because they were the ones that backed me from the beginning. I can’t thank my team enough. They put an absolutely insane motorbike underneath me this weekend. Thank you to everyone at home for always supporting me. I hope that this is the start of many more.”
– The 2016 Moto3 champion also becomes the first South African rider to triumph in motorbike’s premier class as teammate Pol Espargaró was unlucky to crash out in an incident with Johann Zarco as the Frenchman grabbed a brilliant third despite the resulting long-lap penalty.
– Zarco, 30, said: “I missed the start and I have to work on it. I was feeling quite OK and ready to fight. The top three got ahead a little bit and I tried to come in the corner because Pol went wide. I kept the line and I did not expect him to crash. I was surprised to do the long lap with nobody overtaking me and the last three laps the tyres totally dropped.”
– Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira produced a superb performance to claim sixth for Red Bull KTM Tech 3 with Taka Nakagami in eighth for LCR Honda IDEMITSU and Australian Jack Miller ninth for Pramac Racing.
– With reigning champion Marc Márquez out injured, last year’s championship runner-up Andrea Dovizioso could only place 11th for Ducati while Márquez’s younger brother and Repsol Honda teammate Álex finished 15th.
– Márquez’s replacement Stefan Bradl was 18th, while Spanish rookie Iker Lecuona crashed out early for Red Bull KTM Tech 3 as the season moves on to Spielberg’s Red Bull Ring for next weekend’s Austrian GP.
Czech GP result
1. Brad Binder RSA Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 41’38.764
2. Franco Morbidelli ITA Petronas Yamaha SRT +5.266
3. Johann Zarco FRA Esponsorama Racing +6.470
4. Alex Rins SPA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR +6.609
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP +7.517
2020 MotoGP rider standings
1. Fabio Quartararo FRA Yamaha 59 points
2. Maverick Vinales SPA Yamaha 42
3. Franco Morbidelli ITA Yamaha 31
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 31
5. Brad Binder RSA KTM 28