Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
New teammates Bakkerud and Ekström eye strong FIA World Rallycross season.
– The new 580-hp Audi S1 EKS RX quattro has been boosted with a new aerodynamics package that enhances performance as shown in the impressive testing carried out.
– Bakkerud revealed, “The car is a little shorter than I’ve been driving and my first impression is positive. The team pays attention to even the smallest details.”
– The 26-year-old’s best finish was third behind Ekström and Johan Kristoffersson in 2016, however he struggled to sixth in 2017 with just four podium places.
– Ekström will benefit from just focusing on WRX this season after doubling up with DTM since 2014, a series where he won the championship in 2004 and 2007.
– The 39-year-old said, “Personally that’s very positive because the dual load was definitely enormous. Last year we started as the hunted, now we’re the hunters.”
– The Swede finished the 2017 season strongly with four podium spots to pip two-time champion Petter Solberg to second overall behind runaway winner Kristoffersson.
– Bakkerud added, “It’s clear that Mattias is not just a brilliant driver but also an excellent technician. I look forward to trying to learn as much as possible from him.”