Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Spaniard eases into title lead at home race and celebrates with floss dance.
Marc Marquez managed to avoid a big crash involving Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa to win the Spanish Grand Prix and grab a 12-point lead in the 2018 MotoGP title race. Here is all you need to know:
– The Spaniard sat behind three-time champion Jorge Lorenzo in the early stages before slipping past at the end of lap 8 to take the lead from his compatriot.
– Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Italian Andrea Dovizioso battled hard to try and catch Marquez, however they all collided on lap 18 to force them out of the race completely.
– Frenchman Johann Zarco moved into second place to lead home a trio of Italians in Andrea Iannone, Danilo Petrucci and seven-time champion Valentino Rossi.
– Marquez now takes the outright lead in the championship by 12 points from Zarco with Spaniard Maverick Vinales, Iannone and Dovizioso close behind.
– The 25-year-old, who did a floss dance move on his bike over the finish line, declared: “I was convinced before the race that I was able to win. We started on the second row but I was clever. I pushed. The race is very long and you must manage many things.”
– The Cervera native has now won the Spanish Grand Prix twice since his 2013 debut and has four MotoGP titles to his name from 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017.
Spanish Grand Prix results
1 Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda Team 41’39.678
2 Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +5.241
3 Andrea Iannone ITA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR +8.214
4 Danilo Petrucci ITA Alma Pramac Racing +8.617
5 Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +8.743
Championship standings after round 4 of 19
1 Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda Team 70
2 Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 58
3 Maverick Vinales SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP 50
4 Andrea Iannone ITA Team SUZUKI ECSTAR 47
5 Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team 46