Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Austrian motorbike star trades sandy ride for street drive at seventh round.
Red Bull KTM Factory rider Matthias Walkner will join Alexander Albon for this weekend’s Virtual Azerbaijan Grand Prix, the seventh and penultimate round of the F1 Esports Virtual GP Series. Here is all you need to know:
– Surfer Kai Lenny and football star Sergio Aguero joined Albon for the last two rounds of the virtual series with Austrian Walkner slotted in for the seventh round.
– The 33-year-old rally raid rider is a former MX3 Motocross World Champion, who won the 2015 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship then followed up with the prestigious 2018 Dakar Rally.
– There are a couple of differences compared with this weekend; the race will last considerably less than 14 days and it will be on asphalt instead of sand and rocks.
– The Kuchl native revealed: “I’m super excited and I’m really looking forward to racing in this weekend’s Virtual GP. Even on the simulator, the pace is crazy fast so I can’t even imagine how it must feel in reality and my biggest respect goes to all the F1 drivers. I hope I can face the challenge. I’m not sure if I’m fast enough to not mess up completely, but I’ll try my best. It will be fun.”
– Meanwhile Thai-British driver Albon will look to recover from a disappointing Monaco GP race last time out and get back on the virtual podium in Baku this Sunday June 7 from 18:00 BST with the F1 Esports Pro Exhibition Race kicking off one hour earlier at 17:00.