Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Gasser and Ledeux win snowboard and ski big air titles at indoor Oslo event.
Anna Gasser marked her return to competitive snowboarding with victory in the big air competition at the X Games in Oslo, Norway. Tess Ledeux also took home a gold medal after winning the ski big air title. Here is all you need to know:
– Gasser was making her comeback to competition after suffering a hairline fracture in her right ankle in January.
– The Austrian triumphed at the indoor event with an overall score of 86.99 after landing a Cab Double Underflip 900 and a Frontside Double Underflip 900. Japanese Kokomo Murase came second with American Julia Marino in third.
– Gasser, 28, is World and Olympic champion in the discipline and now has five X Games medals, with three of them gold.
– Gasser said: “It feels so good, it was a really challenging jump, and I am so happy I could do the two double nines (Cab double 900 and Frontside double 900). To be honest I had a horrible practice, I didn’t do any of those tricks and that makes it extra special to put it down and walk away with gold.”
– Ledeux’s overall score of 82.66 saw her comfortably win the ski big air competition in front of Swiss duo Giulia Tanno and Mathilde Gremaud.
– The French skier is already a two-time world champion at the age of 17 after winning slopestyle in 2017 and big air earlier in 2019.
– The win is her first X Games gold medal, adding it to her collection of two silvers and a bronze. She said “It is just incredible! It is my first gold medal, and now I am just so happy. I had hoped for a gold medal.”
– Elsewhere Yuki Kadono picked up bronze in the Men’s Snowboard Big Air competition and Tyler Bereman in the Moto X Quarter Pipe High Air.
– X Games Norway is the fourth and final X Games of 2019 after earlier events in Aspen, Minneapolis and Shanghai.