Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Brazilian Dora pulls off huge aerial in four-foot waves to secure win.
Eighteen of the world’s best surfers battled hard in four-foot waves at Plage des Culs Nus as the inaugural Red Bull Airborne event saw Brazilian Yago Dora take the win. Here is all you need to know:
– The World Surf League (WSL) specialty event in France consisted of a mixture of the world’s best surfers from the elite Championship Tour and aerial specialists.
– Dora excelled early in the Final producing a huge slob air (front arm grabbing his toe-edge) and another forehand rotation with a frontside grab in the first five minutes to take a lead that he never let go.
– The 22-year-old said: “Being included in this group of surfers was an honour for me. Airs are the future of the sport, so I am so happy and excited to win.”
– American Griffin Colapinto and Australia’s Jack Freestone rounded out the podium with Tour rookie Colapinto’s signature inverted forehand reverses with no grab scoring the highest single score of 6.77.
– Aerial stars Kalani David (HAW), Matt Meola (HAW) and Eithan Osborne (USA) could not transfer their impressive qualifying form into the Final down the order.
Red Bull Airborne Final Leaderboard:
1. Yago Dora (BRA) 18.27
2. Griffin Colapinto (USA) 17.21
3. Jack Freestone (AUS) 15.3
4. Kalani David (HAW) 5.66
5. Matt Meola (HAW) 5.40
6. Eithan Osborne (USA) 0.00