Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Marc Márquez races around the track in both an F1 car and on a MotoGP bike.
The Spanish four-time World Champion is looking to extend his lead in the 2018 standings this weekend in Spielberg having won five races already this season and having a lead of 49 points over closest rival Valentino Rossi.
Earlier this season, Márquez switched from two wheels to four for a new experience on the track. Here is all you need to know:
– When comparing lap times, Márquez finished almost nine seconds quicker in the F1 car than on the bike.
– He said: “It was an unbelievable experience, and an absolute highlight of my career. There is a massive difference to MotoGP. The limited visibility was a great challenge, in particular, to begin with. You feel a lot more constricted in the cockpit. The braking distances and timing in turns is completely different. A Formula 1 car has much more downforce, of course, which made for a lot of fun in the part of the circuit with the most turns, in particular.”
– The Repsol Honda rider currently leads the 2018 standings with five wins from the first ten races.
– In 2017, Mârquez qualified in pole position at the race in a time of 1.23.235.
– At the 2018 F1 race, Valtteri Bottas qualified in pole position with a time of 1.03.130.