Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Viñales dominates at Phillip Island as Zarco and Márquez crash out.
Maverick Viñales won a dramatic Australian Grand Prix on Phillip Island to end the record Yamaha winless streak.
– The Spaniard’s victory was his first since the 2017 French GP and the first for the manufacturer in 25 races after Valentino Rossi’s win in Holland last year.
– Viñales broke clear in the early laps after taking the lead on Lap 6 and crossed the line ahead of Andrea Iannone and Andrea Dovizioso.
– Márquez had started the race from pole position but his race was over on Lap 5 after a massive shunt on Turn 1.
– Frenchman Johann Zarco collided with the back of his bike at 185mph, in turn sending the Tech 3 rider flying off through the gravel.
– Luckily, Zarco walked away without injury while Márquez had to retire in the pits with damage to the back of his Honda.
– Márquez had already sealed his fifth World Championship title last week in Japan.
– Bradley Smith equalled his best result of the season for Red Bull KTM Factory Racing in 10th while his teammate Pol Espargaro failed to finish.
AUSTRALIAN GP RESULTS
1. Maverick Viñales, Spain, Yamaha 40’51.081
2. Andrea Iannone, Italy, Suzuki +1.543
3. Andrea Dovizioso, Italy, Ducati +1.832
4. Alvaro Bautista, Spain, Ducati +4.072
5. Alex Rins, Spain, Suzuki +5.017