Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
David Colturi completes unique 20m jump ahead of Red Bull Cliff Diving stop.
The American cliff diver is used to leaping off 27 metre platforms into fresh water in scenic locations, but never has he taken flight first in order to do so. Here is all you need to know:
– The paraglider was flown and steered by renowned Swiss pilot Christian ‘Chrigel’ Maurer who has won Red Bull X-Alps on five occasions.
– The paraglider hovered 20m above the water surface when Colturi, 29, performed the dive in front of the historic Tell’s Chapel built in 1880 to mark the spot where, according to popular legend, William Tell leapt from a boat during a storm to escape his captors more than 700 years ago.
– Colturi said: “I love to push boundaries and prepare myself for things that have never been done before. It’s been a great experience setting this unique project that combines cliff diving and paragliding up over the last couple of months and finally executing the dive in a big team effort.”
– The Swiss leg of the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series returns to Sisikon for the first time in eight years on August 5, 2018.
– Switzerland plays a major role in the history of the sport as Red Bull Cliff Diving as such was born in Brontallo (Ticino) in 1997 with the very first stand-alone event.
– America’s Steven LoBue will be aiming to make it three wins in a row after victories in Spain and Portugal put him on the cusp of becoming only the third man to achieve a World Series hat-trick after Gary Hunt and Colombian legend Orlando Duque.
– Unfortunately, Colturi will not be able to compete at the upcoming tour stop as he suffered a ruptured spleen performing the high dives off the paraglider: “Although injuries in our sport can happen every day, even after extensive preparation, it’s very unfortunate it happened to me being in such fine form with podium finishes in Spain and Portugal. However, in my mind I’m already preparing to be back on the platform and battling it out with my fellow divers.”
Watch it live on Red Bull TV HERE.