Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
New Zealander continues season-long domination, McMorris makes podium.
Zoi Sadowski-Synnott and Red Gerard scooped the Slopestyle gold medals at the 37th annual Burton US Open snowboarding championships in Vail, Colorado.
Teenage star Sadowski-Synnott, 17, continued her season-long domination to complete snowboarding’s triple crown, adding the title to her X Games and World Championship wins.
American Gerard, 18, also added another medal to his collection after being crowned Olympic champion in PyeongChang. Here is all you need to know:
– Sadowski-Synnott needed victory to complete the triple crown having already picked up wins at the X Games and being crowned World Champion.
– The teenager sent down a huge run of 82.55 to overcome rivals Julia Marino from America and Miyabi Onitsuka of Japan. The run included a switch backside 900 stalefish, a frontside 720 mute and a backside 540 stalefish. Watch all the action on Red Bull TV HERE.
– She said: “I can’t even explain how I’m feeling right now, i’m just happy to be here and happy to put down a run. This was one of the first contests I watched when I first started competing and I’ve always wanted to go. I’m just so stoked right now.”
– Gerard was the top finisher in the semi-finals and kept the top spot from the beginning of the final, earning the winning run of 80.55 on his first attempt. His run included a switch backside 1260 indy, into a frontside double cork 1080 indy and a backside triple cork 1440 mute.
– Gerard said: “It’s pretty crazy, I’ve never really thought I’d be on the podium, so to win is beyond me.”
– Swedish rider Sven Thorgren took second and four-time Burton US Open Slopestyle champion McMorris landed in third. McMorris said: “A lot of people go through their whole career trying to get on the podium, so I need to remind myself of that always. I’m super thankful to even be snowboarding still and it’s just so good to be here.”
– The Burton US Open finished on Saturday with the men’s and women’s halfpipe finals.
Men’s Slopestyle Finals Results
1. Redmond Gerard (USA), 80.55
2. Sven Thorgren (SWE), 79.60
3. Mark McMorris (CAN), 79.20
4. Luke Winkelmann (USA), 76.70
5. Lyon Farrell (USA), 73.45
Women’s Slopestyle Finals Results
1. Zoi Sadowski-Synnott (NZL), 82.55
2. Julia Marino (USA), 80.35
3. Miyabi Onitsuka (JPN), 78.85
4. Hailey Langland (USA), 77.50
5. Annika Morgan (GER), 72.00