|Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne marked his return to the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch by hitting the top spot in a frantic final ten minutes of the official test this afternoon.
The defending champion saved his best lap of the session until the end, pushing Luke Mossey from the top spot as the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider instantly showed his pace as the weekend got underway.
Mossey was eased back into third in the final five minutes when Christian Iddon moved ahead for Tyco BMW with Leon Haslam and the leading McAMS Yamaha of James Ellison completing the top five.
Honda Racing proved they had made steps forward by ending the opening session sixth fastest with Jason O’Halloran ahead of Glenn Irwin and John Hopkins on the Moto Rapido Ducati.
Dan Linfoot made it two Hondas inside the top ten, narrowly ahead of Tommy Bridewell who held off Josh Brookes to claim tenth place.
Rookie Bradley Ray was the highest placed Suzuki rider, holding 14th position, with Sylvain Guintoli 20th on the timesheets.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Official Test:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 45.315s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.137s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.253s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.300s
- James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +0.373s
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.443s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.506s
- John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.513s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.586s
- Tommy Bridewell (Team WD-40 Kawasaki) +0.719s
For more information visit www.britishsuperbike.com