Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
American duo seal last Florida regatta berth for elite youth sailing event.
Ian MacDiarmid and Nicolas Muller fought off a strong US national field to claim the last regatta berth for the Red Bull Foiling Generation World Final in Miami.
Here is all you need to know:
– Strong Florida winds faced the high quality field for the final national regatta of the last 12 months with the Flying Phantom catamarans flying over the water.
– MacDiarmid and Muller nearly saw their World Final hopes dashed in the semi-finals when their catamaran flipped over, however they held their nerve to battle back for second place and a spot in the national final.
– They upped their game in the final against three other Flying Phantoms to power into the lead and held on to seal their World Final spot for this week.
– The American duo will now face 15 other nations comprised of sailors aged 16-20 in the event created by Austrians Roman Hagara and Hans Peter Steinacher.
– MacDiarmid, 19, said: “It was good to be sailing together again and a ton of fun competing against everyone. After we flipped, Nick kept us really calm and got us back up. Both his trap wires broke but we got untangled and, once we got going, we were confident.”
– Two-time Olympic champion Hagara, 52, added: “The competition was great and the conditions on land and water were perfect. It was a great final race with a lot of lead changes, and it was exciting to watch.”
Red Bull Foiling Generation World Final schedule:
Held at East Fishing Pier, Key Biscayne, Florida
Friday, November 9 – Qualification
Saturday, November 10 – Knockout and repechage
Sunday, November 11 – Semi-finals and final