Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Red Bull Sailing Team place fifth in Cardiff as female sailor Mackay makes history.
Strong winds played havoc with the elite field of GC32s at the Extreme Sailing Series stop in Cardiff as Red Bull Sailing Team started and finished strongly to place fifth. Here is all you need to know:
– Skipper Roman Hagara‘s Red Bull Sailing Team came out fast on Day One in the heavy rain to finish on the podium in third, but struggled to master the lighter winds that arrived on Day Two.
– Twenty-knot gusts saw the likes of SAP Extreme Sailing, Team Mexico, Oman Air and Team Wales capsize as the weather hit hard on Day Three with Red Bull Sailing Team hitting back on Monday with five podiums.
– Only four points separated the teams battling for victory with Switzerland’s Alinghi edging out Denmark’s SAP Extreme Sailing and Oman Air again for the win with Red Bull Sailing Team back in fifth.
– Tactician Hans Peter Steinacher said, “Of course this isn’t the result we were aiming for. The conditions were exciting, but we weren’t consistent. There are two regattas left, in San Diego and Los Cabos, and Roman and I are already looking toward solutions to produce a strong finish to the season.”
– New talent is key to Extreme Sailing Series and Chris Taylor, who helmed the winning boat in the 2017 Red Bull Youth America’s Cup, helmed in Wales alongside Ed Powys, Rhys Mara, Dan Morris and Neil Hunter.
– The Grand Finale of the Flying Phantom series saw Olivia Mackay and Micah Wilkinson fly to victory with Mackay then making history by moving up to helm Team Wales on the final Extreme Sailing Series day and become the first female at the helm of a boat.
– The action moves on to sunny San Diego next from October 18-21 with Mexican resort Los Cabos providing the last setting from November 29-December 2 as Alinghi look to hold on to their slender overall lead.
– Results Act 5, Cardiff, UK: 1. Alinghi (SUI) 307 points, 2. SAP Extreme Sailing (DEN) 304 pts, 3. Oman Air (OMA) 303 pts, 4. INEOS Rebels UK (GBR) 282 pts, 5. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 275 pts, 6. Team Mexico (MEX) 218 pts, 7. Team Wales (GBR) 202 pts
– Overall Extreme Sailing Series rankings after five of seven acts: 1. Alinghi (SUI) 57 points, 2. SAP Extreme Sailing (DEN) 55 pts, 3. Oman Air (OMA) 51 pts, 4. INEOS Rebels UK (GBR) 46 pts, 5. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 41 pts, 6. Team Mexico (MEX) 35 pts