Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Robyn, Fever Ray & more – Red Bull Music Festival New York returns
The line-up of the annual festival’s sixth edition has been announced for May.
The Red Bull Music Festival returns to New York this year for its sixth annual festival celebrating all things musical from legends of the genre to up-and-coming artists, sounds in unique locations across the boroughs and world premieres.
– As ever, there are a host of world premieres, among them Oneohtrix Point Never’s MYRIAD – a daring, immersive performance built specifically for Park Avenue Armory. Other premieres include Drift Mutiply by Tristan Perch, a piece for 50 violins and 50 self-built speakers inside the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Other first include serpentwithfeet and John Mauis.
– While the Big Apple is at the heartbeat of the Festival, it is also a celebration of international sounds this year, notably the Caribbean and Latin communities’ deep roots in the city and wider borough.
– Among the standout talks are conversations with Harry Belafonte, the 91-year-old musician, actor, social activist and icon, who will reflect on his colourful life. Also taking the stage in conversation is Swedish singer Robyn, who will be put on the spot by fellow musician and close friend Kindness.
– As well as the long established stars of music, as ever the festival will celebrate some of the new young stars, starting from the opening night on May 3: Wiki, Show Me the Body, 700 Bliss (Moor Mother and DJ Haram, Onyx Collective, Mike and Standing On the Corner.
– Since the festival launched in 2013 for the New York instalment of the world-travelling Red Bull Music Academy, program highlights have included public conversations with D’Angelo, Erykah Badu, Brian Eno, James Murphy, George Clinton, A$AP Rocky and Werner Herzog; Giorgio Moroder’s first ever DJ set; world premieres of live shows including Anohni’s Hopelessness, FKA twigs’ Congregata and Solange’s An Ode To at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum; and the Larry Levan Street Party which brought out more than 20,000 New Yorkers.
To get the full line-up, tickets, which go on sale from 10am EDT on Thursday March 22 and to sign-up to the newsletter, click HERE.
May 03: If This Knowledge Scares You, The Equation Is Working with Wiki, Show Me The Body, Standing on the Corner, MIKE, Sporting Life, Onyx Collective, Tony Seltzer, 700 Bliss (Moor Mother + DJ Haram)
May 04: John Maus, Coney Island
May 04: RAMMΣLLZΣΣ: Racing for Thunder @ Red Bull Arts New York
RAMMΣLLZΣΣ: Racing for Thunder is on view from May 4 – August 26. The exhibition is organized by Red Bull Arts New York Chief Curator Max Wolf and cultural critic Carlo McCormick, with Associate Curators Christian Omodeo, Jeff Mao, and Candice Strongwater.
May 05: A Conversation with Harry Belafonte
This event is co-presented with Jill Newman Productions. At the artist’s request, all revenue from ticket sales will be donated to Sankofa, Harry Belafonte’s social justice organization.
May 08: Red Bull Radio Live: The Federation Sound with Max Glazer
May 09: Tristan Perich: Drift Multiply with Lesley Flanigan @ Cathedral of Saint John the Divine
May 11: Dream Machine with Master Musicians of Jajouka (Morocco), Oliver Coates (UK), Zeena Parkins, Dave Harrington Group, Sophia Brous & Special Guests @ Pioneer Works
Created by Sophia Brous, Dave Harrington and Wild Dogs International
Musical Directors: Dave Harrington and Sophia Brous
Set and lighting design: Wild Dogs International
Produced by SODA X Wild Dogs
Originally created for Supersense: Festival of the Ecstatic at the Arts Centre Melbourne.
May 12 & 13: Fever Ray with Nidia @ Brooklyn Hangar
May 16: Red Bull Radio Live: Bien Buena with Riobamba and Uproot Andy
May 17: serpentwithfeet: both moons
May 18: Teeth & Nails with Bali Baby, Asian Doll, Rico Nasty, Lil Wop, Chicken, HANZ, DJ Kenn
May 19: Reggaeton: Hasta Abajo with The Noise (live), DJ Lobo, Rosa Pistola, Riobamba
May 20: Red Bull Radio Live: Peak Time with Vivian Host
May 21: A Conversation with Robyn, moderated by Kindness
May 22 + 24: Oneohtrix Point Never: MYRIAD @ Park Avenue Armory
(Note: This event is co-presented with the Park Avenue Armory, as part of their 2018 season. Part American palace, part industrial shed, Park Avenue Armory is dedicated to commissioning, producing, and supporting unconventional works in the visual and performing arts that need non-traditional spaces for their full realization. Citi and Bloomberg Philanthropies are the Armory’s 2018 Season Sponsors.)
May 23: ‘Betty Davis: They Say I’m Different’ NYC Film Premiere
May 25: Brujas x Performance Space New York: Anti-Prom @ Performance Space New York