Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Iffland, Duque and Pennisi dive at Tres Marias Islands in the Philippines.
The 2019 Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series launches on April 13 at the stunning new stop of El Nido in the Philippines with three divers giving us a taste of what lies in store. Here is all you need to know:
– Defending women’s champion Rhiannan Iffland from Australia, Colombian legend Orlando Duque and Filipino-Australian wildcard Xantheia Pennisi gathered for a breathtaking sunset dive from the phenomenal Philippines rock formation at Tres Marias Islands.
– Iffland is looking to make it four titles in a row with the likes of Mexican Adriana Jimenez, Canadian Lysanne Richard and Briton Jessica Macaulay up against her.
– Pennisi, who became the first diver of Filipino descent to compete at the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series in Mostar last year, revealed: “Everything happens for a reason, and this stop happened for me. I will be diving for my family and my biggest supporter – my Mum.”
– First ever men’s champion Duque is only a wildcard this year, but he will still fancy his chances against seven-time champion Gary Hunt of Britain, 2017 winner Jonathan Paredes of Mexico and American Steven LoBue.
– The 11th season opens this week surrounded by the spectacular scenery of limestone formations of the Small and Big Lagoon on Miniloc Island offshore from El Nido.
– It’s sure to be a blazing opener as 24 athletes launch themselves from up to 27m, then twist and spin down before they hit the emerald waters at over 85km/h.
Watch the action on Saturday on Red Bull TV HERE