Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Home from home for Aston Martin Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso.
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso have a new place to call home on the road during the Formula 1 season.
This week, the two teams unveil the new Red Bull F1 Energy Station, aka the F1 Holzhaus (or Wood House), which will act as their joint base at the Spanish Grand Prix and eight other European races this season. Here is all you need to know:
– It is based on the Red Bull Holzhaus which made a one-off appearance as a MotoGP motorhome at last year’s Austrian Grand Prix, but bigger. The new building was commissioned in July 2018 and was first built at the Salzburgring on 2 April of this year.
– The monster structure is built using sustainably sourced Austrian timber and covers 1221m2, with 27% more floor space than its predecessor, which had been in existence for 14 years. It is 32metres long, 14m wide and 11m high. It’s also energy efficient, its natural convection design aimed at doing away with air conditioning entirely.
– Behind its four walls, it has 59 TV screens, 32kilometres of cables, 417m3 of sustainably sourced Austrian timber, 211m2 of artificial grass carpet. Inside the kitchen will produce 100 kilos of pasta, 120 kilos of fish and 180 kilos of meat per race weekend.
– It takes 32 hours to be erected by a team of 25, who can dismantle it even quicker.
– After the Spanish Grand Prix, the new design will be deconstructed and transported to Monaco where it will be rebuilt on a floating barge.
– Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner said: “We’re changing the game again with the unveiling of the new Energy Station, better known in Austria as the Holzhaus. It’s a sustainable structure that brings a touch of the Styrian Alps to the F1 paddock, having been designed to meet the current and future needs of ourselves and Toro Rosso. If it sees half as much drama as the old Energy Station, it will be doing well!”
– Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal Franz Tost said: “We are happy to be back in Europe for the first race of the new season and to make it an even more exciting season, Scuderia Toro Rosso together with Aston Martin Red Bull Racing is thrilled to unveil our brand-new Energy Station to the Formula 1 world. By having such a spacious layout, this provides both teams with a warm, state of the art working environment, which will result in an extra incentive to go to the track in the morning.”