Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Discover the new Italian location for the upcoming freerunning competition.
Red Bull Art of Motion is returning in 2019 with the world’s best freerunners competing against each other in Matera on October 5.
Here is all you need to know:
– Red Bull Art of Motion is being held in the unique location of Matera, Italy for the first ever time on Saturday October 5.
– The event is organised by Red Bull and sponsored by the City of Matera and the Matera Basilicata 2019 Foundation.
– Matera is the European Capital of Culture for 2019.
– Red Bull Art of Motion has been challenging the elite of international freerunning since 2007, usually taking place in Santorini, Greece.
– The final event will be held in the area adjacent to the Palazzo del Casale, headquarters of the Matera Basilicata 2019 Foundation.
– The on-site qualification, which offers five places (3 men and 2 women) to compete in the main competition, will be held on Wednesday, October 2nd in the courtyard of the Sant’Agostino Convent in Matera; a building of worship dating back to the end of the sixteenth century.
– The event will see the participation of 18 athletes from all over the world, selected according to different qualification methods: Online qualification, on-site qualification and a place will be assigned to the winner of the Lion City Gathering in Singapore (12/15 September). Red Bull will also give a wild card spot to an Italian athlete.
– Three places have already been assigned. 2017 Red Bull Art of Motion winner Alexander Titarenko from Ukraine, Air Wipp Challenge winner Krystian Kowalewski from Poland and Ed Scott who won the Vancouver NAPC 2019.
– The announcement video shows Titarenko and Australian Dominic Di Tomasso discovering Matera with spectacular acrobatics, jumping and running among the rocks and roofs, giving us a taste of what to expect from the competition itself.