Courtesy of quattro media
PERSKINDOL SWISS EPIC 2018 Stage 2: Stauffer / Looser take day two’s victory, Canadians Smith / Pendrel cross finish line first in women’s race!
Stage 2 was one for the marathon specialists in the men’s field – BiXS Pro Team’s Hansueli Stauffer and Konny Looser prevailed over the 77km course, taking control of the stage on the final climb and resisted the efforts of Buff Scott and Scott-SRAM to take victory. The women’s race took form early on with a neck-and-neck battle between Team Canada’s Haley Smith and Catharine Pendrel and overall race leaders Thömus RN’s Kathrin Stirnemann & Alessandra Keller.
Team BiXS’s Stauffer and Looser, who had also flatted early on, put in a strong ride in the flat section before the last climb and joined up with Buff Scott, setting off up the ascent in pursuit of Scott-SRAM. With Matthias Stirnemann struggling, Team BiXS and Buff Scott caught the overall race favourites. “Hansueli attacked – I waited till he was 100m away then I went across to him,” said Looser. Arriving at the line with 48 seconds over second placed team Guerra and Morcillo, the all-Swiss team had time to celebrate. Frischknecht and Stirnemann held on for third.
In the women’s race, Smith und Pendrel took their chance to gain valuable time on team Thömus RN on the overall standings. They capitalised and stretched their advantage to 2m55s, earning themselves the coveted orange leaders’ jerseys. Although their lead-up to the 2018 Perskindol Swiss Epic was far from ideal, with Terpstra’s ankle injury flaring up recently and Benko’s illness, Ghost Factory Racing still managed a creditable third.
Results Stage 2
1. Hansueli Stauffer / Konny Looser (SUI – BiXS Pro Team) – 3:49.44,1
2. Francesc Guerra / Enrique Morcillo (SPA – BUFF SCOTT MTB TEAM) – 3:50.32,4 +48,3
3. Matthias Stirnemann / Andri Frischknecht (SUI – SCOTT-SRAM MTB RACING) – 3:51.27,3 +1.43,2
1. Haley Smith / Catharine Pendrel (CAN – Team Canada) – 4:35.33,3
2. Kathrin Stirnemann / Alessandra Keller (SUI – Thömus / RN Racing Team) – 4:38.28,3 +2.55,0
3. Barbara Benko / Anne Terpstra (HUN / NED – GHOST FACTORY RACING) – 4:46.16,0 +10.42,7
1. stage: Bettmeralp – Bettmeralp (60km)
2. stage: Bettmeralp – Grächen (72km)
3. stage: Grächen – Grächen (66km)
4. stage: Grächen – Zermatt (61km)
5. stage: Zermatt – Zermatt (63km)