|Luke Mossey fired the JG Speedfit Kawasaki to the top of the times after the opening two free practice sessions at Knockhill with a lap under the existing circuit record to hold off Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne. However a crash in free practice one has sidelined MCE British Superbike Championship leader Leon Haslam for the remainder of the event.
Mossey had upped the pace in the afternoon session to fend off the attack from Byrne in the dry conditions, but the pair had traded blows at the top of the timesheets before the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider emerged on top at the chequered flag.
MCE BSB Championship leader Haslam had his momentum curtailed when he crashed out causing a red flag in the opening session of the day; he was knocked unconscious and has also fractured his vertebrae, but he is stable with no neurological injury but will take no further part in the event.
In the second free practice session Josh Brookes climbed to third in the closing stages to lead the Yamaha charge onboard the Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha, pushing Jason O’Halloran back to fourth after the Honda Racing contender topped the opening free practice session.
The Honda Racing pair were in close contention this afternoon with Dan Linfoot closing in on his team-mate to complete the top five and nudge Peter Hickman on the Smiths Racing BMW back into sixth place.
James Ellison was the fastest of the McAMS Yamahas in seventh place ahead of John Hopkins on the Moto Rapido Ducati, Jakub Smrz and Sylvain Guintoli who returned from his most recent MotoGP duties to complete the top ten for Bennetts Suzuki.
Glenn Irwin also crashed out of the opening session, the Be Wiser Ducati rider sustained shoulder and elbow dislocations, which have been put back in and hopefully he is expected to be discharged from hospital soon.
Christian Iddon was another rider to crash in free practice one at Knockhill, the Tyco BMW rider has a deep cut / wound / soft tissue injury over his elbow which will require a surgical procedure.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Knockhill, Free Practice 1:
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) 48.552s
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.055s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.096s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.213s
- Michael Laverty (McAMS Yamaha) +0.248s
- James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +0.255s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.348s
- Tommy Bridewell (Team WD-40 Kawasaki) +0.401s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Reserves Kawasaki) +0.422s
- Jakub Smrz (Lloyd & Jones PR Racing Kawasaki) +0.541s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Knockhill, Free Practice two result:
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 48.221s
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.397s
- Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.483s
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.513s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.568s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.582s
- James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +0.607s
- John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.639s
- Jakub Smrz (Lloyd & Jones PR Racing BMW) +0.763s
- Sylvain Guintoli (Bennetts Suzuki) +0.914s
For more information visit www.britishsuperbike.com