Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Lorenzo pips Spaniard to Austrian GP victory with Pedrosa in seventh place.
– Marquez came into the weekend 49 points clear of Valentino Rossi and stormed to pole on Saturday to show he meant business at a packed Red Bull Ring track.
– The Spaniard led into the halfway point on Sunday, however the Ducati duo of compatriot Lorenzo and 2017 title rival Andrea Dovizioso soon hunted him down.
– Italian Dovizioso dropped off as his tyres degraded, however Lorenzo kept pace with Marquez who will be his Repsol Honda team-mate for the 2019 season.
– The two traded the lead in a fascinating tussle that had the fans on the edge of their seats before three-time MotoGP champion Lorenzo got the upper hand.
– Marquez, 25, revealed: “Today I tried to change my strategy and push a lot from the beginning. I wanted to fight only one Ducati in the end and we achieved our goal. Every short straight, Jorge was able to overtake me and it was difficult to defend.”
– His Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa came in behind Rossi for seventh with Bradley Smith finishing 14th for Red Bull KTM Factory who only ran one bike.
Austrian Grand Prix result:
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati 39m 40.688s
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda 39m 40.818s
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 39m 42.344s
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda 9m 50.122s
5. Danilo Petrucci ITA Pramac Ducati 39m 53.857s
2018 MotoGP standings after round 11 of 19