Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Spaniard holds off rival Rossi for third in Brno as Pedrosa finishes in eighth.
Marc Marquez could not keep pace with the Ducati duo of Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo at Brno, however he grabbed a podium place to extend his 2018 MotoGP title lead. Here is all you need to know:
– The four-time champion lined up for his 100th Grand Prix start third on the grid behind last season’s title rival Dovizioso and his main rival this year in legend Rossi.
– Dovizioso traded the lead with his Italian compatriot Rossi early on before he pulled away to win from Ducati team-mate Lorenzo, who left his charge too late.
– Marquez did not have the pace to challenge, so cruised home for a solid third that leaves him 49 points clear of Rossi, who nicked fourth from Cal Crutchlow.
– The 25-year-old said: “I was happy with my speed, but it is so difficult to fight against the Ducati guys. They have very good acceleration, powerful engines and are strong on the brake points. We increase the lead in the championship and that is the most important thing. I need to finish all the races now – that is the key.”
– Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa, who is retiring at the end of the season, finished eighth however Red Bull KTM Factory’s Bradley Smith did not finish while team-mate Pol Espargaro broke his collarbone in the morning warm-up.
Czech Republic GP result:
1. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 41m 7.728s
2. Jorge Lorenzo SPN Ducati 41m 7.906s
3. Marc Marquez SPN Repsol Honda 41m 8.096s
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha 41m 10.630s
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda 41m 10.686s
2018 MotoGP championship standings:
1. Marc Marquez SPN Repsol Honda 181 points
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha 132 (-49)
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 113 (-68)
4. Maverick Viñales SPN Movistar Yamaha 109 (-72)
5. Jorge Lorenzo SPN Ducati 105 (-76)