Courtesy of quattro media
38. Ötztal Cycle Marathon 2018 – Sölden/Ötztal (AUT) | Local hero Mathias Nothegger and Swiss rider Leila Orenos cross finish line first!
The season’s most dominant marathon participant, Mathias Nothegger, crowns a successful year with his victory at the 38th Ötztaler Cycle Marathon! In the women’s class Switzerland’s Laila Orenos achieved the fifth victory in a row! The biggest surprise in Ötztal was former ÖSV Nordic combined athlete Patrick Hagenaars with an amputated arm, who finished third and made a dream come true!
At the last mountain pass of the Ötztaler Cycle Marathon – on Timmelsjoch – Mathias Nothegger finally stakes everything on one card and took the lead after a heroic attack. No one could follow him and at the top of Timmelsjoch his lead over Samuele Porro was over four minutes. The cyclist from Vorarlberg won his first “Ötztaler” at incredible 7:04.02 hours. Samuele Porro (ITA/ Guanzate) secured second place with his time of 7:09.00 and Patrick Hagenaars (AUT/Brixen im Thale) took place 3 (7:14.53).
In the women’s competition Laila Orenos (SUI/ Trogen) impressed with her 5th victory in a row at the Ötztal Cycle Marathon 8:05.30. Two Austrians completed the podium: Anna Kiesenhofer (AUT/Niederkreuzstetten) on rank 2 (8:12.56) and Nadja Prieling (AUT/ Reith bei Kitzbühel) on rank 3 (8:21.21).
1. Mathias Nothegger (AUT) 7:04:02
2. Samuele Porro (ITA) 7:09:00
3. Patrick Hagenaars (AUT) 7:14:53
1. Laila Orenos (SUI) 8:05:30
2. Anna Kiesenhofer (AUT) 8:12:56
3. Nadja Prieling (AUT) 8:21:21