Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
American skater pips Leon and Caples in front of Munich Olympic Park crowd.
American Jake Ilardi carried over his excellent qualifying form to pip Danny Leon and Curren Caples to the Red Bull Roller Coaster title in front of a huge crowd at Munich’s eye-catching Olympic Park. Here is all you need to know:
– Eighteen of the world’s top skateboarders took on the innovative course that mixes elements of Street, Bowl and Megaramp as part of the Munich MASH festival.
– The 300m slopestyle course included picnic tables, wall rides and water gaps, while the judges were looking for speed, style, jump height and trick selection.
– The 10 finalists were given two runs to show the noisy Olympic Park crowd and veteran judges their best, while they had to hit a strongman bell to find out their score.
– American Caples shocked the more established names with an excellent first run of 87 to lead from top qualifier Ilardi and Norwegian Kevin Baekkel.
– The 22-year-old revealed after the first run: “There were a bunch of tricks I didn’t land in practice, so I am surprised I put it all together. I am stoked.”
– American Sorgente was unlucky not to beat Caples’ score with a trick-filled second run, however Leon edged Caples out to lead with a composed 89 run.
– Ilardi, though, drew on his qualifying excellence to put together a superb second run of 95, including a breathtaking middle jump, to end the day with victory.
– He enthused: “Curren and Danny put down super solid runs. They definitely put the pressure on me. I had to stay on my board. I am lost for words.”