Courtesy of AFT – American Flat Track
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 3, 2018) – American Flat Track round number 2, the Harley-Davidson Atlanta Short Track presented by Hellbender Harley-Davidson, is happening this weekend. And if you remember last year’s race, you know the intensity will be turned up to eleven.
Few will ever forget: During the 2017 AFT Twins presented by Vance & Hines Main event at Woodstock, Ga.’s Dixie Speedway, Indian Motorcycle factory rider Jared Mees and former Estenson Racing pilot Sammy Halbert – title contenders both – tangled forcefully while battling for the lead. Halbert went down, fortunately unhurt, which red-flagged the race, and was only able to generate a sixth place finish after the re-start – a race Mees won.
While Mees is back aboard the No 1 Indian Motorcycle/Rogers Racing/SDI Indian Scout FTR750 in 2018, Halbert has joined the factory Harley-Davidson aboard the No. 69 Harley-Davidson Factory Team XG750R, all of which makes this year’s Atlanta Short Track a battle within a battle: Halbert vs. Mees, and Harley-Davidson vs. Indian Motorcycle. Epic conflicts, both.
And when you consider the drama coming out of Daytona two weeks ago – Factory Yamaha roadracer JD Beach (No 95 Team 95/G&G Racing Yamaha MT-07) hounding eventual winner Mees the entire AFT Twins Main event (and racing again this weekend!); reigning AFT Singles champion Kolby ‘The Flying Tomato’ Carlile (No. 1 Estenson Racing Yamaha YZ450F) crashing out of contention; Husqvarna’s Shayna Texter (No. 52 ST52 Racing Husqvarna FC450) failing to make the Main; and KTM’s Dan Bromley (No. 62 Big Momma & Daddy Deep Pockets KTM 450 SX-F) winning going away – you just know things are gonna be hot and heavy come Saturday on the red Georgia clay!
There’s more than intense on-track action during this weekend, too – an eclectic mix of fan- and family-friendly moto-attractions that are sure to please any sort of fan. They include:
- Kickoff Parties on evenings prior to the races at local hot spots, including the biggie on Friday night – the Hellbender H-D/Tomahawk H-D and Steel Horse Law happening at The Battery at SunTrust Park, home of the Atlanta Braves, featuring drink and food specials, live music by Cory White, Harley-Davidson bike displays and quite possibly the appearance of Harley’s factory flat track team.
- A fan-tastic Fan Zone sponsored by Hellbender Harley-Davidson featuring a Big Top Circus theme, with three live sword-swallowing sideshows by Captain & Maybelle, Harley-Davidson Rebel One and motorcycle displays, bouncy-house and face-painting for kids, circus performers, giveaways, merchandise for sale, superb food and drink from Louisiana Purchase food trucks, a live DJ, and much more.
- Live Music featuring Cloe and the Ancientz, located between the VIP tent and the main grandstands, from 4 – 5:45 pm (and during intermissions, too).
- AMCA Classic Bike Displays, featuring machines such as 1913 Excelsior, 1915 Harley, 1946 Harley racer, 1947 Indian Chief, 1961 Harley FL, 1969 Harley Sportster, 1971 Harley Shovelhead. There will also be some Japanese and Euro iron, including an original Z50 Honda, R75/5 BMW, Bultaco Astro flat tracker, Yamaha DT-1 and many more classics.
- Cole “High Flying” Freeman Stunt Show, which will wow you with unbelievable happenings on two wheels.
- Vintage Astro Invitational racing benefitting the Rookie Class of ’79 and Friends, which works tirelessly to raise funds to help injured professional flat track racers.
- Free Shuttle Service and Off-Site Parking to ease parking congestion at the track. Shuttles run from 4 pm until 11:30 pm, with a parking/pick-up/drop-off at Woodstock Christian Church, 7700 GA-92, Woodstock, GA.
Remember, VIP ticket packages are still available, and feature catered dinners and quality refreshments. Advance tickets are discounted $10 below race-day pricing, so get yours now and get ready to experience all the action and entertainment that American Flat Track has to offer.
Ticket prices start at just $35, and can be purchased – along with a wide range of VIP and Tailgate ticket options – at https://www.showclix.com/event/atlanta-short-track.
Gates open at 1:00 pm, time timed practice set to begin at 2:00 pm. Get up close and personal the riders during an open paddock and rider autograph session from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. Opening Ceremonies are slated to begin at 6:00 pm, kicking off a night of racing starting at 6:30.
Can’t Make The Race?
Those who can’t make the trip to Atlanta can watch the entire afternoon and evening’s practice, qualifying and racing live and as-it-happens on FansChoice.tv. And don’t forget to catch the NBCSN broadcast of the race, premiering April 14 at 5:30 pm ET and re-airing April 18 at 4:00 pm ET on NBCSN.
How to Watch:
NBCSN and FansChoice.tv are the official homes for coverage of American Flat Track. For the 2018 season, NBCSN’s coverage of AFT moves to highly-coveted, weekend afternoon programming slots within two weeks of each event. The complete schedule for AFT on NBCSN can be viewed at http://www.americanflattrack.com/events-nbcsn/. FansChoice.tv remains a cornerstone of AFT’s digital strategy, providing live streaming coverage of every event on AFT’s live page while previous events and exclusive features are available on AFT’s VOD page.
About American Flat Track:
American Flat Track is the world’s premier dirt track motorcycle racing series and one of the longest-running championships in the history of motorsports. Sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing in Daytona Beach, Fla., the series is highly regarded as the most competitive form of dirt track motorcycle racing on the globe. For more information on American Flat Track, please visit http://www.americanflattrack.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, check us out on Instagram, live stream the events at FansChoice.tv and catch all the American Flat Track racing action on NBCSN.