Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Austrian outfit impressive behind 2018 Extreme Sailing Series champions Alinghi.
Red Bull Sailing Team finished up a mixed 2018 Extreme Sailing Series season on a high with a slick second place in Los Cabos as Swiss team Alinghi wrapped up the title. Here is all you need to know:
– Austrian Roman Hagara was at the helm for the season finale in Mexico as the crew looked to grab a podium place and finish 2018 on a high.
– With fellow double Olympic champion Hans Peter Steinacher in the boat too, Red Bull Sailing Team knew they needed to leave everything out on the water to have a chance of beating the likes of Alinghi and Oman Air.
– They started the regatta with a run of four race wins, which also left British boat INEOS Team UK in their wake despite America’s Cup skipper and four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Ben Ainslie helming.
– Thousands of fans were then treated to a classic duel as two-time America’s Cup winner Alinghi made up ground heading into the final double points race, which the Swiss team won as the sun set over the Pacific.
– Red Bull Sailing Team‘s eight podiums, including five race wins, saw them claim a second which enabled them to leapfrog over INEOS Team UK and earn fourth overall for the second season in a row.
– Steinacher, 50, revealed: “It took us a while to put together the right formula this season, but I’m very happy of how our young team handled the boat here, with unstable winds and against opponents who are truly world-class. With this kind of momentum, I hate to see the season end!”
– Australian Rhys Mara, American Dan Morris and Kiwi Micah Wilkinson – the youngest team member at 22 – joined Hagara and Steinacher in celebrating.
– Wilkinson, who earned a podium in the 2017 Red Bull Youth America’s Cup, added: “This was only my second regatta on the GC32 and I just keep learning. Roman and Hans Peter did an amazing job on the starts and tactics.”
Extreme Sailing Series Act 7, Los Cabos, Mexico (12 races): 1. Alinghi (SUI) 141 points, 2. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 130 pts, 3. Oman Air (OMA) 126 pts, 4. SAP Extreme Sailing (DEN) 123 pts, 5. INEOS Team UK (GBR) 110 pts, 6. US Team Extreme (USA) 97 pts, 7. Team Mexico (MEX) 92 pts
Final Extreme Sailing Series 2018 standings: 1. Alinghi (SUI) 92 points, 2. Oman Air (OMA) 83 pts, 3. SAP Extreme Sailing Team (DEN) 83 pts, 4. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 72 pts, 5. INEOS Team UK (GBR) 70 pts, 6. Team Mexico (MEX) 56 pts