Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
40kmh winds propel them around Lençóis Maranhenses National Park.
The world’s best kitesurfers had to deal with the strong winds blowing across the striking blue lagoons and immense sand dunes of stunning Lençóis Maranhenses National Park in Brazil at Red Bull Rally dos Ventos back on September 17, 2017.
Here is all you need to know:
– Forty-five competitors were propelled by winds of over 40kmh through 65km of picturesque blue lagoons and huge sand dunes in one of South America’s most breathtaking settings on Brazil’s north Atlantic coast.
– The 380,000-acre park includes 70km of coastline with rolling sand dunes inland, whose valleys become freshwater lagoons during the rainy season.
– Four species listed as endangered such as the neotropical otter and the West Indian manatee roam the park, while it has become a popular destination for ecotourists with as many as 60,000 visitors a year.
– Big Hollywood movies Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019) used the park’s other-worldly landscape to double as the planet of Vormir.
– Brazilian star Alex Neto defended his title on home soil by pipping then world champion Carlos Mario Bebê with American Susi Mai dominating the women’s race.