Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Oliveira matches best in MotoGP season opener as Márquez fractures arm.
Andrea Dovizioso edged out Australian Jack Miller to grab third place at the 2020 MotoGP season opener in Jerez as reigning champion Marc Márquez suffered a fractured arm when he crashed out in his home race. Here is all you need to know:
– Italian veteran Dovizioso finished the MotoGP championship runner-up the last three seasons behind Márquez and started the Spanish GP in eighth – just three weeks after surgery on his left collarbone.
– He moved his way through the field, sliding past the fellow Ducati of Miller on the penultimate lap to end third behind French winner Fabio Quartararo.
– Spaniard Márquez went into the race with six MotoGP titles, however went off into the gravel early on then got back on the track way down in 18th spot.
– He produced a trademark charge through the pack to rise up to third, but the Repsol Honda rider suffered a highside and crashed out late on to leave him injured.
– Repsol Honda revealed in a statement: “A fall at Turn 3 while fighting for the podium has resulted in a broken right humerus for the reigning World Champion, who will travel to Barcelona for surgery. MotoGP medical staff have confirmed there is no other serious head or thoracic trauma but will remain under observation for 12 hours. Márquez will travel to the Hospital Universitari Dexeus in Barcelona on Monday, July 20 and is aiming to be operated on by Dr Xavier Mir and his team on Tuesday, July 21. Recovery time is as yet unknown.”
– Miller was followed by Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Pol Espargaro in sixth with Portuguese Miguel Oliveira matching his best in eighth for Red Bull KTM Tech 3.
– Japan’s Takaaki Nakagami rounded out the top 10 for LCR Honda Idemitsu, while France’s Johann Zarco finished 11th with rookies Álex Márquez and Brad Binder finishing 12th and 13th respectively in their first MotoGP race as Spaniard Iker Lecuona did not finish.
Spanish GP result:
1. Fabio Quartararo FRA (Petronas Yamaha SRT)
2. Maverick Viñales SPA (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 4.603
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA (Ducati Team) + 5.946
4. Jack Miller AUS (Pramac Racing) + 6.668
5. Franco Morbidelli ITA (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 6.844
2020 MotoGP rider standings:
1. Fabio Quartararo FRA (Petronas Yamaha SRT) 25 points
2. Maverick Viñales SPA (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) 20
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA (Ducati Team) 16
4. Jack Miller AUS (Pramac Racing) 13
5. Franco Morbidelli ITA (Petronas Yamaha SRT) 11