Jake Dixon saved his best until last to top the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice sessions at Cadwell Park; launching his RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki to the top of the times to topple Danny Buchan from the top in the closing moments.
Leon Haslam had set the pace in the opening session by just 0.009s from Glenn Irwin, who crashed out in the final moments on the Be Wiser Ducati. However in the afternoon Dixon was the man with the target on his back ahead of tomorrow’s final free practice and Datatag Qualifying in Lincolnshire.
Haslam held third place in the afternoon, once again ahead of Glenn Irwin, but behind the pair a resurgent Bradley Ray was back inside the top five as he bids to hold onto his position in the top six ahead of the Showdown for Buildbase Suzuki.
Michael Laverty had a strong showing for the Tyco BMW team as he climbed up the order to sixth place, leading the BMW charge from Richard Cooper, who had a consistent opening day on the second of the Buildbase Suzukis.
Andrew Irwin clocked the eighth fastest time on the second of the Be Wiser Ducatis, heading off home hero Peter Hickman in ninth and Christian Iddon who completed the top ten as the pair battle for a place in the Showdown.
Fans’ favourite Josh Brookes ended the afternoon session outside the top ten in 14th place after a crash in the final 20 minutes of free practice two, the Australian was unhurt but lost valuable track time ahead of tomorrow’s final free practice session.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, Free Practice 1:
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:27.069s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.009s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.041s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.374s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.505s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.523s
- Tommy Bridewell (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.782s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.942s
- Andrew Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.966s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +1.020s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, Free Practice 2:
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) 1m:26.071s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.517s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.709s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.720s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.962s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +1.063s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +1.093s
- Andrew Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +1.252s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +1.320s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +1.480s
For more information visit www.britishsuperbike.com