Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Red Bull 3Style finalists train 18 hours a day to mix 50 tracks into 15 minutes.
Twenty-four of the best and most dedicated DJs on the planet took the stage to battle it out in front of DJ Jazzy Jeff at the eighth Red Bull 3Style World Championship Final.
After five days of action DJ Damianito from Italy was crowned victorious in front of 1,000 fans at the historic Juliusz Slowacki Theatre in Krakow, Poland.
All the DJs put in a gruelling amount of training behind the scenes as they aimed to perfect their scratch routine, which featured up to 50 tracks into a single 15-minute slot.
Did you know?
– Many of the final DJs have been training solidly every day for more than three months in preparation for the final. Training sessions, when not working on stage and touring, can last as long as 18 hours a day in a bid to perfect their routine.
– The ‘10,000 hour rule’ often mentioned in reference to perfecting your chosen sport, also applies for DJs. The more of your life you dedicate, the better you will be.
– In the 15-minute slots, the DJs can skilfully mix more than 50 separate tracks and bits of music into their routine.
– Finalists have spent their lifetime slowly building their music collections. The number of tracks on their hard drive changes from DJ to DJ. It ranges from 5,000, to 10,000, to 50,000. The 150GB hard drives are treated with the same importance as a phone, wallet or passport.
– DJ Puffy, the 2016 Red Bull 3Style winner, revealed that being a top DJ requires a huge amount of mental, emotional and physical fitness, which often goes unnoticed.
About Red Bull 3Style World Championship Final 2018
– DJ Damianito from Italy was crowned champion in front of 1,000 fans at the prestigious Juliusz Slowacki Theatre in Krakow, which was opened in 1893.
– DJ Damianito overcame DJ Cross (BEL, 2nd), DJ Cam B (CAN, 3rd), DJ Rina (JPN), DJ Diego Zapata (CHL) and Ryan the DJ (RSA) in the high-quality final.
– Judge, DJ Jazzy Jeff, said: “It is the best DJ competition in the world and it picks the best party rocker in the world. This year’s competition was hard because the calibre around the globe is getting better. Every year we have found new and unique talent from all over the world and I can’t wait for Taiwan.”
– DJ Damianito said on his victory: “To realise this journey and become World Champion, I have no words. It is so special. I am not going to stop here, I want to keep on learning from the other DJs and legends. I have been working for three months to get the two sets together but I was changing 50% of the winning set right up until the last minute. When I put together a set, my mind is thinking about a journey. I wanted a journey with surprises.”
– DJ Damianito flew himself to Santiago, Chile in 2017 just to watch and learn from the DJs in a bid to make the final in 2018.
– DJ Rina from Japan was the first woman to ever make the grand final of the competition.
– The Red Bull 3Style World DJ Championships have been advancing the culture of DJing and entertaining audiences all around the world since 2010.
– DJs were given 15 minutes to impress the judges with their originality, creativity and ability. The DJs were required to play at least three genres of music.
– The judges (DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Craze, DJ Nu-Mark, Nina Las Vegas, Skratch Bastid) scored on these four areas:
1. Originality – 40%
2. Skills – 25%
3. Music selection 20%
4. Crowd response 15%