Courtesy of quattro media
Absa Cape Epic 2018 – Western Cape (RSA) the toughest mountain bike race in the world
Fumic (GER)/Avancini (BRA) and Langvad/Courtney take the top spot of the podium in stage 1
Stage 1 of the Cape Epic 2018 took the riders around Robertson. It is one of the most attractive of the Cape Winelands towns, with 150-year-old Victorian buildings, Jacaranda-lined streets and breath-taking gardens. A roll around district and farm roads as a start was followed by some sharp kickers and the rock ’n roll descent on the rocky, rutted descent of Con’s Singletrack. Takkap Climb came into play just before halfway and was the biggest challenge of the day, brutally steep and rocky.
Manuel Fumic (GER) and Henrique Avancini (BRA) secured the win after a dramatic sprint finish after taking second place at yesterday’s prologue. Jaroslav Kulhavy (CZE) and Howard Grotts (USA) performed an outstanding race ending up in second, being only 1,3 second behind the winners. Fabian Rabensteiner (ITA) and Michele Casagrande (ITA) crossed the finish line in third. However, for the defending champions Nino Schurter (SUI) and Mathias Stirnemann (SUI) the race is over after Stirneman had to give up with a stomach infection shortly after arriving at the finish of Stage 1.
In the women category Annika Langvad (DEN) and Kate Courtney (USA) celebrated their second consecutive victory. The race is also over for defending champion Ester Suess, as her partner Angelika Tazreiter had to give up with a shoulder injury. The podium completes the duo Ariane Lüthi (SUI) / Githa Michiels (BEL) on second and Mariske Strauss (RSA) / Annie Last (GBR) on third.
Stage 1 – Results:
1. Cannondale Factory Racing 6-1 Manuel Fumic (GER) 6-2 Henrique Avancini (BRA) 4:08.22,6
2. InvestecSongoSpecialized 2-1 Jaroslav Kulhavy (CZE) 2-2 Howard Grotts (USA) 4:08.23,9 +1,3
3. Trek Selle San Marco 2 15-1 Fabian Rabensteiner (ITA) 15-2 Michele Casagrande (ITA) 4:13.55,6
1. Investec Songo Specialized 54-1 Annika Langvad (DEN) 54-2 Kate Courtney (USA) 4:45.22,7
2. Spur 53-1 Ariane Lüthi (SUI) 53-2 Githa Michiels (BEL) 4:46.15,0 +52,3
3. Silverback – KMC 51-1 Mariske Strauss (RSA) 51-2 Annie Last (GBR) 4:51.06,4 +5.43,7