Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Austrian team stars on day three of Extreme Sailing Series races in Portugal.
Red Bull Sailing Team were denied the chance to push for a podium spot at the fourth round of the 2018 Extreme Sailing Series after they suffered boat damage late on in champagne Portuguese conditions. Here is all you need to know:
– Cascais was a new venue for the stadium racing format, however the crowds of knowledgeable local sailing fans gave a warm welcome to two-time Olympic champion skipper Roman Hagara.
– Hagara and his young team of Ed Powys, Neil Hunter, Dan Morris and Rhys Mara finished in the middle of the pack over the first two days of sailing where winds neared 30 knots.
– They upped their game on day three with their first race win, plus three more podium finishes, and started strong on Sunday with three consecutive podiums including a win.
– Sadly their GC32 catamaran sustained damage in a foil lift with two races missed for repairs leading to a return for the last three races and a fifth place.
– Swiss boat Alinghi won again from SAP Extreme Sailing Team (DEN) and INEOS Rebels UK to maintain their overall lead with Red Bull Sailing Team 12 points back in fifth place.
– Sport director Hans Peter Steinacher revealed: “It’s disappointing, because the team was working well and we were really finding our rhythm. Still, it was another learning experience, and we’re already looking ahead to the next race.”
– Red Bull Sailing Team have a chance to hit back when the Extreme Sailing Series races in Cardiff for the seventh consecutive year with act five on August 24-27.
Results Extreme Sailing Series Act 4, Cascais, Portugal: 1. Alinghi (SUI) 309 points, 2. SAP Extreme Sailing (DEN) 294 pts, 3. INEOS Rebels UK (GBR) 288 pts, 4. Oman Air (OMA) 282 pts, 5. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 250 pts, 6. Team Mexico (MEX) 222 pts, 7. Team Portugal (POR) 182 pts
Overall Extreme Sailing Series rankings after four of seven acts: 1. Alinghi (SUI) 45 points, 2. SAP Extreme Sailing (DEN) 44 pts, 3. Oman Air (OMA) 41 pts, 4. INEOS Rebels UK (GBR) 37 pts, 5. Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) 33 pts, 6. Team Mexico (MEX) 27 pts, 7. NZ Extreme Sailing Team (NZL) 7 pts