Courtesy of Red Bull Media Service Team
Athletes 400km into epic Red Bull Der Lange Weg journey from Vienna to Nice.
The seven international mountaineers who are attempting to ski tour from Vienna to Nice have completed their first week after arriving in Bad Gastein near Salzburg, Austria.
After their arrival in Bad Gastein, they have now mastered a total of 398,9 km in distance and 21,880 vertical metres. They have spent a total of 83 hours and two minutes on skis and on foot.
The team, who are trying to complete a route no one has done for almost 50 years, have had to fight rain, snow, fog, wind and cold since leaving Vienna on Saturday March 17. Here is all you need to know.
– The seven athletes attempting the challenge are: Tamara Lunger (ITA), Nuria Picas (ESP), Bernhard Hug (SUI), Philipp Reiter (GER), David Wallmann (AUT) and Janelle and Mark Smiley (USA) .
– Altogether, they will have to overcome 1917 kilometres in distance and more than 85,000 metres of cumulative elevation gain on their travel over the Alps to Nice.
– Only Austrian ski mountaineers Robert Kittl, Klaus Hoi, Hansjoerg Farbmacher and Hans Mariacher have mastered this adventure so far, in 1971.
– In the next few days they will tackle Austria’s highest mountain, Grossglockner (3798 m), and Salzburg’s highest mountain, Großvenediger (3666 m).
– Philipp Reiter: “We are super motivated to continue like this, we got far and we go on a skitour every day and we see something new. At the beginning the weather was bad, it was really tough because it was so cold and hard to navigate. Now we are looking forward to the big mountains.”
Red Bull Der Lange Weg – The Stages So Far:
1st Stage: Reichenau an der Rax – Mürzsteg, 44 km, 2880 vertical metres, 9:30 hours
2nd Stage: Mürzsteg – Tragöß Oberort, 62 km, 3.300 vertical metres, 14 hours
3rd Stage: Tragöß Oberort – Johnsbach, 58 km, 2620 vertical metres, 11:38 hours
4th Stage: Johnsbach – Wurzeralm Talstation, 40 km, 1880 vertical metres, 8:35 hours
5th Stage: Wurzeralm – Lake Ödensee, 54 km, 2439 vertical metres, 9:54 hours
6th Stage: Lake Ödensee – Schladming, 38 km, 2892 vertical metres, 8:15 hours
7th Stage: Schladming – Tauernalm 48 km, 2700 vertical metres, 10:25 hours
8th Stage: Tauernalm – Bad Gastein, 53,9 km, 3139 vertical, 10:55 hours
TOTAL: 398,9 km, 21.880 vertical metres, 83:02 hours
Follow the expedition live tracker HERE.